'Tis the season for River Herring Festivals and Events!
Saturday & Sunday, April 8 & 9 – Middleborough Festival at Oliver Mill Park
Sunday, April 30th – Herring Run Bike Tour, Cape Cod Canal
Saturday, May 6 – Plymouth Herring Festival
Sunday, May 7 – Springtime Herring Exploration at the Mashpee River by Route 130
Saturday, May 20 - Achusnet River Sawmill Park Festival
Wellfleet River Herring Count Workshop
10am March 22,2017
Wellfleet Public Library
Main Street, Wellfleet MA
Did you ever wonder what happens to the river herring larvae in our freshwater ponds? What are the factors that
determine their growth and eventual emigration?
Dr. Joel Llopiz,Dept.of Biology, Woods Hole OceanographicInstitute
The research of the Llopiz lab is generally focused on how fish and fish larvae interact with their environment, particularly what they feed on and how well they are feeding, as well as what environmental factors influence
these two variables.
His presentation is entitled: "Early life stages of river herring from contrasting freshwater environments."
10-‐11 am Presentation by Dr. Llopiz
11:10 Sign up and short review of protocols for Wellfleet Herring Count Volunteers
Hello River Herring Network members,
The MA Division of Marine Fisheries is proposing a regulation change to allow individual rivers to be open for harvest of river herring if they have an ASMFC approved sustainability management plan and specific permitting, harvest and identification requirements. This is one of 18 different regulation changes being proposed. DMF is now accepting written comments, and will hold four public hearings in February. Please see the information below for all the details.
Public Hearing Notice: http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dmf/marinefisheriesnotices/pubhearings/public-hearing-notice-011317.pdf
Item # 4. Opening Individual River Herring Runs (322 CMR 6.17). This proposed regulation would provide DMF with the authority to open individual rivers to the harvest of river herring if they have an ASMFC approved sustainability management plan and specific permitting, harvest and identification requirements. The Nemasket River may be the first run to potentially open under this authority.
Exact wording of the proposed changes to 322 CMR 6.17 - Scroll to page 19
Primer for Winter 2017 DMF Public Hearings - River Herring start on slide 19
Instructions for Written Comments
Public Hearing Schedule
Monday, February 6, 2017
DMF Annisquam River Station 30 Emerson Avenue Gloucester, MA 01930
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Tisbury Town Hall Katharine Cornell Theater 51 Spring Street Tisbury, MA 02568
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
MA Maritime Academy Admiral's Hall 101 Academy Drive Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
Monday, February 13, 2017
Nantucket Police Station Meeting Room 4 Fairgrounds Road Nantucket, MA 02554
Thank you to all who made the 2016 River Herring Network annual meeting a success! Sixty people attended the 6th annual meeting on October 27, 2016 at the Buzzards Bay Coalition office in New Bedford. Participants represented 12 towns, 10 environmental organizations, 8 state and federal agencies, 1 County agency, & 4 academic institutions. We also had students and AmeriCorps volunteers with us. Thank you to the Buzzards Bay Coalition staff for being excellent hosts.
Ten speakers gave presentations on a range of topics such as Division of Marine Fisheries management updates, research on larval river herring growth, research on fish passage routes, the predicted and observed effects of climate change, new stream maintenance protocols, the recent Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission meeting that addressed possible harvest in the Nemasket River, how to work with the Mass Department of Transportation on fish passage projects and issues, and an overview of a high profile restoration project along the Acushnet River.
After the meeting, 13 people joined Buzzards Bay staff for a tour of the Acushnet Sawmill park.
The powerpoint presentations, documents discussed, and photos from the meeting are available on the website at: http://riverherringnetwork.com/about-us/annual-meeting.html
- Parking for the River Herring Network Meeting
- 2016 Annual Meeting Agenda
- Save the Date! Annual Meeting on October 27, 2016
- Spring 2016 Workshop Summary
- 'Tis the Season for River Herring Events!
- Annual Meeting Presentation Slides are now Available
- 2015 Annual Meeting Report
- Annual Meeting this Thursday, October 15th in Pembroke
- Seats available for Oct 15 Pembroke Herring Run Bus Tour
- Request for letters to the New England Fishery Management Council
- 9AM Bus Tour of the Pembroke Herring Run - Oct 15
- Agenda for October 15 Annual Meeting
- Save the Date! Thursday October 15th Annual River Herring Network Meeting
- 2015 River Herring Festivals - A Great Success!
- "Run Herring Run" Super Hero Comic - Call for Orders
- Middleborough Herring Run Festival - April 11&12
- Highest attendance at an Annual Meeting so far!
- 4th Annual River Herring Network Meeting - October 30th
- NOAA Fisheries Survey of River Herring Harvesters
- We have a date! Thursday October 30th in Plymouth
- 8 Question Survey! Plan for Next Meeting
- Comments on Draft Eel Plan due by July 17
- TONIGHT July 1 - DMF Hearing on American Eel Management
- Marstons Mills River, Barnstable 2014 Herring Count: The Numbers Are In!
- Herring Count Volunteers Making a Difference for the Ipswich River
- Middleboro Herring Festival April 12&13
- NOAA NMFS creating a River Herring Technical Expert Working Group
- Do you want to serve on the River Herring and Shad Advisory Panel?
- 2013 Annual Meeting Summary
- Dam removal on the Jones River
- Come to the Annual Meeting! October 24, 2-5PM in Bourne
- Public Comment for Herring Amendment 5 this Thursday in Hyannis!
- Wellfleet Herring Warden Jeff Hughes on the radio at WCAI
- Take a 5 Question Survey! Help plan the next River Herring Network Annual Meeting
- DMF request for 2013 Herring Count Data
- New fish ladders in New England
- Public Hearing on American Eel Management
- Still waiting to hear about the ESA listing
- Second Annual RHN meeting held in Buzzards Bay
- September 2012 Workshop Addresses ASMFC requirement for sustainable fisheries management plans
- 2nd Annual Meeting of the River Herring Network - Thursday October 25, 2012
- River Herring Bycatch in the Atlantic Herring Fishery will be discussed at the next New England Fishery Management Council meeting on September 26, 2012 in Plymouth
- Late Summer River Herring Network Workshop - September 13
- Have you ever wondered what a herring warden does in the Fall?
- Summary of June 12 Workshop
- Free Bus to Council Meeting June 20th
- HELP THE HERRING RUN
- A Report from the Atlantic Herring Fishery Management Plan Amendment 5 Hearing in Fairhaven
- It's Time to Speak Up for River Herring – Hearings about Bycatch in March
- River Herring Network Secures 2012 Funding
- Our vision