'Tis the season for River Herring Festivals and Events!
April 2 Weymouth Herring Run Clean Up
April 9 & 10 – Middleborough Festival at Oliver Mill Park
April 23 & 24 – Plymouth Herring Festival
April 30 – Springtime Herring Exploration at the Mashpee River by Route 130
May 1 - Pembroke Fish Fry, 11AM-3PM, Herring Run Park Route 14
May 14 - Achusnet River Sawmill Park Festival
The presentation slides from the 2015 River Herring Network meeting are now available at the link below.
Thank you to all who made the 2015 River Herring Network annual meeting a success! Forty eight people attended the fifth annual meeting on October 15, 2015 in Pembroke at the Public Library. Participants represented 13 towns, 2 watershed associations, 2 regional environmental non-profit groups, 3 academic institutions, 4 state agencies, and the federal agency National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (2 programs – NOAA Fisheries Habitat Restoration, and the National Sea Grant College Program). The Pembroke Herring Fisheries Commission were excellent hosts to all who attended.
Six speakers gave presentations ranging from Division of Marine Fisheries management updates on river herring and eels, to updates on the results of volunteer river herring count programs, research going on in spawning ponds across Massachusetts, and the continuing efforts to monitor the bycatch of river herring in the Atlantic Herring fishery.
The meeting also featured a Question & Answer period with an Environmental Law Enforcement Officer, and the Assistant Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries, Fisheries Biology Section.
The powerpoint presentations and photos from the meeting will be made available on the website soon. Stay tuned for updates!
Pdf copy of the agenda:2015 RHN Annual Meeting Agenda - Pembroke Public Library - Thursday October 15
The 5th Annual Meeting of the River Herring Network will take place on Thursday, October 15th from 10:30AM-4:00PM at the Pembroke Public Library on 142 Center St. This year the meeting is being hosted by the Pembroke Herring Fisheries Commission. Registration is FREE thanks to support from the MA Division of Marine Fisheries, Barnstable County Cape Cod Cooperative Extension, Woods Hole Sea Grant, the Cape Cod Conservation District, and the Pembroke Herring Fisheries Commission.
The day features 6 presentations on topics that members suggested and prioritized, a Q&A period with a MA Environmental Law Enforcement Officer, and an afternoon field trip to Pembroke's Herring Run Historic Park on Route 14. Coffee will be available throughout the day and a pizza lunch will be provided at noon.
- Seats available for Oct 15 Pembroke Herring Run Bus Tour
- Request for letters to the New England Fishery Management Council
- 9AM Bus Tour of the Pembroke Herring Run - Oct 15
- Agenda for October 15 Annual Meeting
- Save the Date! Thursday October 15th Annual River Herring Network Meeting
- 2015 River Herring Festivals - A Great Success!
- "Run Herring Run" Super Hero Comic - Call for Orders
- Middleborough Herring Run Festival - April 11&12
- Highest attendance at an Annual Meeting so far!
- 4th Annual River Herring Network Meeting - October 30th
- NOAA Fisheries Survey of River Herring Harvesters
- We have a date! Thursday October 30th in Plymouth
- 8 Question Survey! Plan for Next Meeting
- Comments on Draft Eel Plan due by July 17
- TONIGHT July 1 - DMF Hearing on American Eel Management
- Marstons Mills River, Barnstable 2014 Herring Count: The Numbers Are In!
- Herring Count Volunteers Making a Difference for the Ipswich River
- Middleboro Herring Festival April 12&13
- NOAA NMFS creating a River Herring Technical Expert Working Group
- Do you want to serve on the River Herring and Shad Advisory Panel?
- 2013 Annual Meeting Summary
- Dam removal on the Jones River
- Come to the Annual Meeting! October 24, 2-5PM in Bourne
- Public Comment for Herring Amendment 5 this Thursday in Hyannis!
- Wellfleet Herring Warden Jeff Hughes on the radio at WCAI
- Take a 5 Question Survey! Help plan the next River Herring Network Annual Meeting
- DMF request for 2013 Herring Count Data
- New fish ladders in New England
- Public Hearing on American Eel Management
- Still waiting to hear about the ESA listing
- Second Annual RHN meeting held in Buzzards Bay
- September 2012 Workshop Addresses ASMFC requirement for sustainable fisheries management plans
- 2nd Annual Meeting of the River Herring Network - Thursday October 25, 2012
- River Herring Bycatch in the Atlantic Herring Fishery will be discussed at the next New England Fishery Management Council meeting on September 26, 2012 in Plymouth
- Late Summer River Herring Network Workshop - September 13
- Have you ever wondered what a herring warden does in the Fall?
- Summary of June 12 Workshop
- Free Bus to Council Meeting June 20th
- HELP THE HERRING RUN
- A Report from the Atlantic Herring Fishery Management Plan Amendment 5 Hearing in Fairhaven
- It's Time to Speak Up for River Herring – Hearings about Bycatch in March
- River Herring Network Secures 2012 Funding
- Our vision